Friday 2 October 2015

Microsoft Surface Pro 2 - How's It Holding Up In 2015?

Made with the Surface Pro 2 & Sketchbook 7
I'm a huge technology addict, and as a designer the most exciting announcements are the new professional-level tablet devices, which allow you to get your creativity out while on the go.

2013 was for me the first time it was really feasible to really complete professional quality work on a tablet device, with the release of the Wacom Companion and the Microsoft Surface Pro 2, the key differences being Wacom's offering was Android based and Microsoft's a fully-fledged Windows 8 machine... I opted for the Surface Pro 2 and overall was really pleased.

You can read my Surface Pro 2 review here.

The problem for me as a tech-addict is the pace at which is gets out-dated, and now in 2015 the iPad Pro has (predictably) been announced, as well as the Surface Pro 3 being released in 2014 also, but how is the Surface Pro 2 holding up?

Great!

I'll admit that Apple's new offering and the Surface Pro 3 are prettier than the pretty bulky Surface Pro 2 model, but honestly the hardware is holding up just fine.

I frequently use the machine for normal browsing, occasional gaming, sketching, and finished work. The programs don't stutter, even live rotating large canvases works seamlessly though I naturally find myself just rotating the screen most of the time.

So if you're wanting to get a creative tablet but are put off by the prices, the Surface Pro 2 is now about half the price of a Surface Pro 3 and keeps getting cheaper, it's still a great buy and still a great piece of kit, that I'll still be using until a truly significant new feature is announced.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.