Sunday 12 January 2014

Sketchbook Pro Tester Sketch

It occurred to me after several years of drawing in Photoshop, that there could, just possibly, be a program out there a little better suited to sketching. 

I have tried other programs before, such as Painter but always ended up moving back to Photoshop (I do still prefer painting with the more digital feeling brushes), and to be honest, I'm just so comfortable with the Adobe UI now that I feel strange using other programs.

Anyhow, I decided to give Autodesk's Sketchbook Pro 6 a go when I had a few spare minutes last night, and I may well be making a purchase on this one...

I have to say it's great to sketch with a more natural feeling pencil / brush. A few features also are really tempting me over. Real-time symmetry (horizontal and vertical) are both awesome features that still haven't made their way over to Photoshop. As well as the very awesome 'smooth line' tool, which is basically dragging the 'stroke' about half a cm behind my pointer, resulting in very controllable, smooth, lines - fantastic for very neat line work.

One issue I have, is the interface, it's obviously designed to be minimalist and user friendly, large icons etc, make it feel a little patronising. It feels as if the program was designed for tablet PCs - the mobile version, and then just plonked on desktop with a significantly (although still cheap compared to Photoshop) hiked up price.

Overall, I've only done the one sketch so far, but think this may well be my go to sketching app from no on. Next up I may well have to check out Artrage, and the newest Painter, which I've been reading good things about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.