Tuesday 28 January 2014

Illustrator / Graphic Designer - My First Week with a Surface Pro 2

It's been a week now since I bought the Surface Pro 2, and it hasn't all been awesome, but I have decided to keep what has become my new workstation, portable office, and bedtime tablet.

Coming to the Surface from a 15.6" non-touch Windows 8 laptop, I always considered the idea of a touch screen a novelty that would wear off after a few days of use... But let me say that my previous hatred for Windows 8, went away at the same time I got my Surface, and that's no coincidence... Everything in Windows 8, particularly the start menu works better with a touch screen.

There have been some teething problems... Primarily software based, and I'm sure that in time, especially as more tablets like this are released (which I will most likely be upgrading to from now on) the software issues will be fixed. If not, they're just small problems, and I honestly had no shortage of those with my previous machine.


Positives:
  • I'm  more creative and more productive than I have ever been, owed largely to the fact I have one device I can do everything on, including the ability to get out of the house and do some work from a coffee shop if I feel the urge.
  • It's quick as all hell. I have no idea how I have lived without a solid state drive for so long... So so very long.
  • Everything I previously used on my workstation works here. (Full Windows 8).
  • I LOVE typing on this keyboard... The Type Cover 2 is exactly the kind of keyboard I like to type on.
  • Drawing direct on to the screen is a great way to sketch, much more natural feel for drawing, once you have the calibration right, and if you REALLY must use a graphic tab, you can just plug one in anyway.
  • Great wireless card. Never drops WiFi, unlike my old bucket of bolts laptop...
  • Screen colours are very vibrant, nice and bright display.
  • Battery life lasts ages compared to a standard laptop, far longer than I've required it to so far.
  • Touchscreen + Windows 8 is actually an enjoyable experience. Never thought I'd say that about Windows 8.
Negatives:
A list as long as my...
  • Driver issues have been somewhat of an issue. Read about them previously, but expected them to be fixed by the time I bought mine... This was not the case (lol).
  • Slightly less pressure accuracy on the low-end of the pressure spectrum, but only so since WinTab update, so it IS fixable...
  • TINY trackpad, truly, TRULY awful to left and right click with... Needing to use the pen to drag and resize windows is NOT acceptable Microsoft. TUT TUT TUT. So I bought a mouse... Clever Microsoft tactic? Hmmm, but yes the trackpad is practically unusable.
  • A few compatibility issues with various Windows programs not expecting to be run on a laptop. Screen orientation changes crash BitDefender for example.
  • NO PEN SLOT. I am going to lose this pen... FACT.
  • Power cable is short as hell... (Told you these were small issues).
  • Could use one extra very shallow stand setting, easily remedied by propping on various objects... But I appreciate efficient design.
There we go, pretty much everything I can think of. If you're looking for a mobile device as an artist. I do highly recommend the Surface Pro 2. I love mine, and will be keeping it. If I get any issues with it (and subsequently find the fixes) I will post them to my blog.

Kind regards,
Happy Surface Pro 2 user.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.